An auto accident occurs on Texas roadways every 59 seconds, and every time we get into our vehicles, we are putting ourselves at risk. A car crash can injure every part of your body, injure the people you love, and they can total your vehicle.
Because another driver was careless on the roadway, you are now faced with piles of medical and auto repair bills. Not to mention you are unable to attend work because of your injuries and a totaled vehicle.
Personal Injury Attorney for Auto Accidents in Montgomery County, TX
At Evans & Powell, PLLC, we know how traumatic an auto accident can be and we are here to lift that burden. We will negotiate on your behalf to ensure that you receive a full and fair settlement.
Call Evans & Powell, PLLC today at (713) 622 - 2000 to schedule a free case consultation, or submit your information in the online contact form. We represent clients involved in auto accidents in Conroe, Montgomery, The Woodlands, Pinehurst, Harris County, Spring and Houston.
Overview of Auto Accidents in Montgomery, TX
According to the most recent report from TxDOT, there were almost 538,000 car accidents in Texas this years, with 9,417 of them happening in Montgomery County. Listed below are some of the most common types of auto accidents in Texas:
- T-Bone/ Side Impact: The side of one or more vehicles is impacted in this type of accident. A T-bone typically occurs at an intersection where a driver failed to stop at a red light or stop sign. Depending on where the vehicle was struck, a side impact collision can be severe.
- Head-On: This type of accident occurs when two vehicles hit each other in opposite directions. A head-on collision commonly occurs on two-lane roads, but it can also happen with fixed objects such as trees and light poles. This type of accident is often fatal.
- Rear-End: This occurs when a vehicle crashes into the back of the vehicle in front of it. Rear-end collisions account for almost a fourth of all collisions. A distracted driver or a driver who follows too closely is typically the cause of this type of accident.
- Rollover: When a vehicle rolls onto its side or roof, it would be considered a rollover collision. This type of accident may occur because of sharp turns, a side impact collision, or loss of vehicle control.
There are many potential causes of car accidents, but there are 12 that TxDOT found to be the most common. According to a statewide report, the most common causes of auto accidents in Texas and the number of collisions they have caused include the following:
- Failing to control speed: 108,466 accidents
- Distracted driving: 82,833 accidents
- Failing to drive in a single lane: 27,073 accidents
- Failing to yield while turning left: 25,981 accidents
- Unsafe lane change: 23,572 accidents
- Following to close: 23,333 accidents
- Improper evasive action: 22,151 accidents
- Failing to yield at a stop sign: 22,144 accidents
- Going under the speed limit: 21,006 accidents
- Failing to stop at stop sign or light: 16,800 accidents
- Failing to yield in a parking lot: 15,230 accidents
- Driving under the influence of alcohol: 15,113 accidents
It’s important for all Texas drivers to be aware of the laws that apply to car accidents. Laws that govern auto accidents are located in the Transportation Code, and they include the following:
Section 550.021 Accident Involving Personal Injury or Death: All drivers involved in a crash that resulted in injury or death of another person is required to stop near the scene and immediately determine whether a person involved in the accident requires aid. Failing to stop after an accident is punishable by up to five years of imprisonment, a $5,000 fine, or a combination of both.
Section 550.022 Accident Involving Damage to Vehicle: All drivers involved in an accident resulting only in damage to vehicles are required to stop near the scene of the crash. If the vehicles can be normally and safely driven, they should be moved as soon as possible so they do not obstruct traffic. Depending on the amount of damage caused to the vehicle, failing to stop can range from a Class C to B misdemeanor.
Section 550.026 Immediate Report of Accident: All drivers involved in an auto accident resulting in death, injury or vehicle damage to the extent it cannot be safely and normally driven, shall immediately give notice to the police.
When it comes to litigation involving auto accidents, section 16.003 of the Civil Practices and Remedies Code states that anyone wishing to bring suit for injury or damage to property must do so no later than two years after the accident occurs.
A person wishing to bring suit from the result of death in an auto accident must also do so within two years of the person’s death.
Additional Resources for Auto Accidents in Houston, TX
Texas Motor Vehicle Crash Statistics– The Texas Department of Transportation offers over 50 different reports regarding auto accidents in the state. Some of the reports include crashes and injuries by county, statewide traffic crash rates, and crash contributing factors. TxDOT is responsible for the state’s highway system and public transportation.
Transportation Code Chapter 550 Accidents and Accident Report– Familiarize yourself with the chapter of the transportation code that governs how auto accidents are handled in the state. You can read through the sections mentioned on this page as well as the duty to give information and render aid and what to do if you strike an unattended vehicle.
Lawyer for Auto Accident in Harris County, TX
If you were recently involved in an auto accident and wish to bring suit against another driver, you have come to the right place. Evans & Powell, PLLC is experienced in personal injury claims caused by auto accidents, and we will do everything in our ability to achieve the best possible outcome for your situation.
Call Evans & Powell, PLLC today at (713) 622 - 2000 to schedule a free case consultation, or submit your information in the online contact form. We represent clients in communities across Montgomery County and Harris County such as Oak Ridge North, Conroe, Spring, Houston, Shenandoah, Willis and many others.